Tuesday, October 07, 2003

A Buddhist lawyer (I know, I know--it's a contradiction) offers wisdom

The following principles--so profoundly simple--are to me those to which we must aspire in this very life. My good friend and fellow attorney, Leonard, has reminded me that they apply now more than ever in the present world of constant armed conflict between mind-blessed beings.

Mind is the forerunner of all actions.
All deeds are led by mind, created by mind.
If one speaks or acts with a corrupt mind, suffering follows,
As the wheel follows the hoof of the ox pulling a cart.

Mind is the forerunner of all actions.
All deeds are led by mind, created by mind.
If one speaks or acts with a serene mind, happiness follows,
As surely as one’s shadow.

He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me.
Harboring such thoughts keeps hatred alive.
Releasing such thoughts banish hatred for all time.

Animosity does not eradicate animosity.
Only by loving-kindness is animosity dissolved.
The law is ancient and eternal.

No comments: