Saturday, November 01, 2003

The ghoul in me

I'm angry--at whom I don't know, precisely. Look, the more dead US soldiers in Iraq, the worse it is for Bush. And the sooner we'll pull out of there. So, when there's a persistent under-reporting of deaths in the media, I'm angered, but at least I'm alive to blog on the subject.

If I were a dead soldier, say the result of a humvee crash or a drowning in the Tigris, I'd be pissed off that my death didn't at least become a statistic that might help to effect a change the course of history. But no, if a soldier dies in Iraq by other than an enemy bullet or bomb, his death counts for nothing, not even in the tabulation of casualties that one day may cause the US citizenry to get rid of Bush and elect a sane president. (This form of refined, limited casualty-counting, BTW, is unique to this war.)
Even in death, I would be really pissed off.

No comments: