Saturday, November 01, 2003

A bit scary

In spite of neighbors' protests, this Virginia couple installed on their porch a sign stating the number of U.S. military casualties in Iraq. "Egging" of their house, hoots and insults, were followed, one night, by arson of the sign--and as a result, the house.

I march on Saturday mornings, along with a few others, carrying a sign up and down State Street in SB that displays the latest casualty figures, and often, when I park my Volvo in parking lots, I place the sign atop my car, sticking through the sunroof. On one side it says, "Hey, Hey, USA! How many soldiers died today?" and on the other, "'Bring 'em On'-2388 U.S. Causualties-R U Happy Now, W?" I update the number regularly. (Today's total, BTW, is 2470.)

So far, I've received only these reactions: A few notes, half positive, half negative, pinned under my windshield wiper, and a couple of snide remarks ("Dirty hippie," "Get a life") as I install the sign. No egging or keying of my car, no harm to the sign. So far.

No comments: