Stephen, a new contributor to this blog, speaks the following truths:
Keep standing up to the lies.
One way to subvert the system is to say to people, "I am really afraid that
they're (those damn liberals!) going to try to impeach Bush for all of the
conflict of interest laws his administration has broken. What can we do to
keep him and his cabinet out of jail?" This tactic of course makes the point
that he's a crook while assuring them you're on poor George W's side!
Ten Thoughts on How To Defeat Terrorism! (To Mr. Bush and his puppet
1. Make friends with the Arab world. This is done by having a balanced
foreign policy toward the Middle East. It also means reducing foreign aid to
Israel and not being their lap dog. Do you know Israel has a national health
plan that covers all its citizens? Wish we could afford one!
2. Seek alignment with Europe - stop insulting their intelligence and
bullying them into supporting ridiculous policies. Better to have lots of
friends - one day we'll need them!
3. Foreign aid and food are not supposed to be wielded like weapons.
Supporting bad leaders and toppling elected ones is unhealthy for us and the
4. Review the behavior, conflicts and demise of all previous imperialistic
civilizations. Look in mirror. Repeat.
5. Stop using Christianity as a club. Muslims and others find the modern
Crusade worrisome and zealots find it an easy target for their hatred.
Church and state are separate for a purpose. Don't suppose that intelligent
people don't notice the huge downside of blending the two.
6. Instead of spending hundreds of billions of dollars creating Fortress
America, get the best minds on Arab culture and politics to work for the
State Dept. and build bridges of trust and friendship with this large slice
of humanity. Remember: they're not evil - we're just acting evil.
7. Keep in mind that there is a big gap between the industrialized northern
nations and the southern developing counties. Unless the wealthy nations
have a game plan to truly encourage and economically develop the Third
World, we'll always be a target for the discontented.
8. Eliminate childish, shortsighted ways of looking at reality: the war on
drugs is a joke, the war on terror is destined to fail and cheating other
countries out of resources is institutionalized imperialism.
9. Paste this to your bathroom mirror: The U.S. Military-Industrial Complex
creates more danger in the world every day than every 'terrorist' group or
10. Our elected officials are temporary custodians of our nation and its
citizens' trust. They will quickly pass, their actions will be judged
against time and the future will unfold without their influence.
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of
unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of
this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should
take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can
compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of
defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty
may prosper together.
--- A soldier said that. His name was Dwight D. Eisenhower