Thursday, July 21, 2011

The future is here

I recently read an article on the Internet (can't find the link now) that detailed how our increasing use of the "cloud" to create and store our information renders us more susceptible to commercial and governmental intrusion. I don't (I think I don't, anyway) use the cloud to store much information because I've never trusted that such storage places won't keep my data without being tempted to exploit it.

Now--no surprise--my reluctance to become a Facebook junkie has seen justification. I like the author's reference to the Pied Piper, whose victims not just willingly, but gleefully, followed him to their deserts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was in college, there were big bulletin boards on campus. You could walk up to one and post a flyer. Ride shares, party announcements, political statements, roommate ads, etc. It was public. Nobody complained that the bulletin board was trying to lure anybody into anything, although there was certainly the risk that information posted carelessly could be exploited. If you put up a party notice with your address, look out buddy. Facebook is public. Anything posted there can be exploited. I don't think it's nefarious, just a big - exponentially big - bulletin board. No BFD, but that's me. No vulnerable teens in my house.