Monday, September 29, 2003

Whazzup Indeed

Wow, John, you've got it nailed down. I agree completely, except that I take a slightly different view of #4, that the US is a Christian nation. I see that Erik has it in quotes, and rightly so. I think many Americans consider this a Christian land, but the reality is that it's never been one. Many of our founding fathers were positive atheists, deists, some Christians, and God knows what.

Russia was a Christian nation until 1917. I suppose it may have been the last.

"I am persuaded, you will permit me to observe that the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction. To this consideration we ought to ascribe the absence of any regulation, respecting religion, from the Magna-Charta of our country." -- George Washington

All of this changes nothing in the essential truth of your position, that a great many Americans hold religious beliefs with which their government is morally at odds.

No comments: