Tuesday, October 07, 2003

I'm scared, really scared

The numbers favoring recall and electing Arnold are frightening. A landslide, which the demographers will, I predict, determine cut across ethnic, economic, social lines. Arnold Schwarzenegger (regardless of his beliefs and principles, which are, even now, unknown) carried all facets of California's voting population because he had name recognition and a body of motivated, well-financed supporters.

Does such a scenario call another election to mind, like maybe the 2004 Presidential one? Does Arnold's election presage upcoming campaigns where money and minority motivation translate into skillful and pervasively-presented packaging and resultant victory?

I am now so frightened by the prospect of George Bush winning in 2004 that I am driven to choose. Either I wade in and scream and claw against it; or I resign from the fray and seek refuge in the nation of my forebears (if they'll have me), Sweden.

I'll let you know what I decide when I decide.

No comments: